Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Artist Interview: Jerzy Kubina

Jerzy constructs large scale images on silk using technologies to create layers, textures, translucency. He is searching for a language which expresses the ideas inside. Sometimes the paintings are quiet and translucent, and then suddenly become very dramatic. There is a symbiotic relationship between him and the materials.



Tell us about yourself.
I was born in Zamosc, Poland, and studied at the Academy Of Fine Arts in Krakow in the painting department. During my studies it was the Communist Regime in Poland and it was very difficult to find freedom. I decided immigrate to New York in 1986. It was a good time from the beginning, I met a dealer who bought my paintings and set me up in the ballroom of a hotel in Paterson to use as my studio. It gave me the space to experiment with installations, performance and large scale paintings.  I stayed for 3 years. I then got a show with a gallery in Paris and lived there for a year. I’ve been in NY since and came to Dobbs Ferry 3 years ago. I have 2 kids.










Besides making art, what do you do, do you have a day job? 
Painting is very important to me, it is my life and my private passion. I support this part of myself by doing commercial art, faux finishing and murals. I’m also in the film union taking freelance jobs as a scenic artist and stages for the movies.











Where does your inspiration come from?  Is there anything you are looking at that particularly speaks to you?
Life. The observation of life. Observing myself. For this kind of observation I need to know certain kinds of techniques and technology. Life provocates the technology and technology explains the vision.
Has any advice influenced you?
My professor in Krakow said to me: “In art talking is not necessary because you produce the something that has it’s own vibration and can talk back.” Interaction between you and my painting is the most important. Also, Be yourself, You need to understand what you really want.









How would you describe your creative process?
I treat my process as a laboratory. I’m trying to challenge and discover something that will be exciting for me. I’m looking for techniques that will be in harmony with my emotion.









How do you get out of your creative blocks?
I don’t really have creative blocks..One painting always gives me the idea for the next one. It’s my life, the creativity grows inside of me.
What is the most positive and inspirational thing about being an artist for you?
To have time for thinking. The creation process touches everything that is inside you, the spiritual things.









What are your biggest challenges to creating art and how do you handle them?
It is a challenge to discover yourself, to be very sensitive to your past and not to think too much about the future.
If you could visit the studio of any artist or designer, who would it be?
I would like to visit the cavemen. They had such a natural process of creation. When he drew the bison it touched religion, hunting, communication. I would like to watch from a secret space to see him and the materials he used.











What are your main goals for 2012?
I have a show in Zamosc, Poland in August at the Zamosc BWA Gallery. I also have an upcoming show at the Monika Olko Gallery in Sag Harbor on Long Island in November.
Where would you like to be in ten years?
I love dreams but I don’t love planning.









Is there something you are currently working on, or are excited about starting that you can tell us about?
I’ve been working for a few months on pieces that juxtapose translucency and rough metallic finishes. It brings me to the emotion I’ve been looking for, for a long time. I will continue with these paintings.
My website is jerekkubina.com
It was a pleasure talking with you, Thanks Jerzy!










1 comment:

Juliette Crane said...

such a fun interview! thank you for sharing such inspiration!

best wishes!
-juliette