Sunday, January 23, 2011

Painting the Winter Landscape

I have never formally learned how to do on oil painting,
I have painted in gouache, watercolor, I do lots of collage,
but never just a straight oil painting. I'm taking an online course
Painting the Winter Landscape with Jamie Shelman.
I'm finding it to be fun and challenging. A whole new way of
thinking about painting and technique. It's also
great for refocusing me on observing my surroundings.
Here is my progress so far:
First we made ink sketches from our photos to get the values.
another ink sketch

Then we mixed color and did quick roughs to lay out the image.

This is maybe 1/2 way done painted on board. I'm still a bit shaky with this
technique and it seems tentative to me. 

This is from a different view of the Hudson river, looking towards NYC.
I just blocked out the basic areas of color.
Here is my second layer on this one, It still needs work.
Whether they come out as I'd like or not, I'm having a great time
learning and experimenting with the oils.
I'll post more after the next assignment.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I think your paintings are fabulous for never having used oils before! I love the subtleties of the neutrals. There is a real feeling of the chill of winter.

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful Jen, and between this and Helen, I am VERY inspired to do the same.

It's been about 20 years since I opened my oil paints...I am set up and pretty much ready to go.