Friday, April 13, 2012

Artist Interviews

I've been working on a project interviewing artists
from my community for our local art organization
RiverArts They are so much fun for me and I want
to share them here.
Lindsay duPont is the current interview up. She is
a talented artist and illustrator and it was great speaking
with her.


Tell us about yourself.
I spent my youth in Winnetka, Illinois. My family- 2 parents,
6 children (including 2 sets of twins) and our dog, Boodles
moved east when I was 14. I spent my high school years in 
Vermont and graduated from RISD in painting. After RISD I 
went to secretarial school and had mostly boring jobs to support 
my painting. I fell in love with Frank duPont and have 3 great
children.









Besides making art, what do you do, do you have a day job? 
I've illustrated 6 children's books, a book and a coloring book
for Applegate Farms, the organic meat company, and currently
I have a long term freelance illustration project for a private client.
In between I take any illustration jobs that come my way.I really
enjoy it to, along with painting.
    







Where does your inspiration come from? 
It comes from looking.  I love nature, colors, design, music, books…

Has any advice influenced you?
I have a quote by Howard Thurman hanging on my wall. Don’t ask
what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
There is also a little poem by Pablo Neruda, talking about the in between.
Not about this or that. It’s about what you can’t reach.



How would you describe your creative process?


It's very instinctual, very much the in between. The process
is trying to get to a place where your head is free and you're 
open to things, you aren't tight.


How do you get out of your creative blocks?


I just keep working. Keep banging my head against the wall and
then I call a friend and go for a long walk.                                    





















What's the most positive and inspirational thing
about being an artist?

I'm always on the lookout-so it keeps the world interesting.
The light shining through a tulip petal can slay me with joy.














How do you balance work and family?

Family is first. Art is second. What's for dinner is third.

What are your biggest challenges to creating art?

Staying open and fresh, keeping that place alive and 
slogging through the bad parts.











If you could visit the studio of any artist or designer,
who would it be?

I would like to have seen William Steig's pen. I'd like to 
be Sonia Delaunay.

What are your goals for 2012 and in 10 years from now?

To keep having the opportunity to work and to find more
outlets for the work.











Do you have any advice for artists who are just starting out?

Take care of business, work hard, find love. Take your work
seriously but don't take yourself too seriously.

Do you have a blog or website?

My website is www.lindsaydupont.com
The original posting of this interview is at riverarts





















No comments: